THE RACE IS ON!! Saturday, September 17, 2022
A rolling and challenging course, this 10K road race honors one of America’s greatest distance runners, Steve Prefontaine. Event includes the 10K run and a 2M walk. Hilly, out and back.
The corner of 4th & Anderson in downtown Coos Bay
- 5K High School Team Competition will start at 9:45 A.M.
- Wheelchair runners will start at 9:50 A.M.
- 10K & Fun Run will start at 10:00 A.M.
Other Things To See While Attending the Run:
- A commemorative monument was placed adjacent to the Coos Bay Visitor Information Center, displaying a bronze likeness of Pre and a list of all his American records held at the time of his death in May 1975.
- The Coos Art Museum, Prefontaine Gallery holds the permanent collection of Steve’s awards and memorabilia, as well as numerous photographs highlighting his illustrious running career. The Gallery also features a bronze sculpture of Pre that was gifted to the Prefontaine Foundation by Bonnye Keller Hall, former wife of the late Eugene, OR mayor Gus Keller. The sculpture was commissioned by the City of Eugene as a gift to outgoing mayor Gus Keller in recognition of his eight years of service as mayor.
- The Pre Mural in downtown Coos Bay across from Restaurant O, depicts three significant stages of Pre’s illustrious running career: as a national record-setting Marshfield High School runner, his ascent as a collegiate athlete at the University of Oregon, and his post-collegiate years highlighted by his scintillating performance in the 1972 Olympics in Munich, Germany.
Part of the annual Bay Area Fun Fest, September 17-18, 2022.
Here are the other exciting events happening this weekend!